The Front Synagogue was built some time in 1639–1642 on the western edge of the future ghetto. Its form has been greatly influenced by subsequent repairs and rebuilding jobs. On the orders of the local lord it even had to have its roof lowered to the level of surrounding buildings, as light from the windows during services was visible as far away as the chateau.
The Front Synagogue in Třebíč, also known as the Old School, acquired more or less its present form when it received a neo-Gothic makeover in the mid 19th century. At that time its entrance was moved from the southern side to the west. With a traditional interior layout, the building had 114 places for men in the hall and 80 places in the women’s gallery. Services took place there until WWII. Subsequently, in 1953–1954, it underwent further renovation, this time at the initiative of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church, which acquired the building and began holding its services there. The Front Synagogue serves that function to this day.
The Front Synagogue in Třebíč