Krásný Dvůr Chateau
Krásný Dvůr Chateau, a Baroque residence with Classicist elements, is associated with the name of one of the leading aristocratic families of the 18th century, the Černín Family from Chudenice. You can see both the interiors of the chateau and the chateau park with a tour guide and learn many interesting facts about the park’s history.
The interiors are decorated with period furnishings, most notably collections of porcelain, earthenware and clocks. Very valuable paintings by Czech and European artists hang here including works by Petr Brandl, Karel Škréta, Filip Kristian Benthum, Alžběta Vigée-Lebrun, etc. The chateau library is also worth a visit, as well as seeing the original classicist shaped stoves, furniture and other examples of the historical skills of craftsmen.

The English landscape park features interesting structures such as Pan‘s Temple, the Neo-Gothic Temple and the 84-foot-high obelisk, an exact replica of the obelisk that stands in the Piazza del Popolo in Rome. The impressive, pointed column was established to commemorate the famous victory at Amberg, won in 1796 by Archduke Charles, thanks to which the advancing army of the French Republic was driven from the borders of the Bohemian homeland. You can also walk around a system of ponds and water canals in the park.
Special educational programmes focused on arts and crafts and the history of the 18th and 19th centuries are prepared for primary schools. Wedding ceremonies can be held here in the chateau‘s Great Hall or in the garden.

From history

The oldest known written mention of Krásný Dvůr is from 1295, where Vilém of Krásný Dvůr is mentioned. In the first quarter of the 16th century, Václav Pětipeský of Chýš became the owner of Krásný Dvůr. He began building the so-called Upper Fortress on the site where the chateau stands today but was unable to complete it. The construction reminiscent of a Renaissance villa was completed by its new owner, Jan Jr. Mašťovský of Kolovraty. This villa from the 16th century and its internal division forms the basic structure in today's main chateau building. The Krásný Dvůr farmstead then changed ownership several times, none, however, made any significant modifications. In 1649, Krásný Dvůr became the property of the Černín Family, in whose possession it remained until 1945.

In 1719, František Josef Černín decided to rebuild the villa into a Baroque chateau corresponding to the contemporary demands of living. The fortress had previously served as a granary and warehouse for agricultural needs. The project was designed by the Prague architect František Maxmilián Kaňka, the personal building engineer of František Josef Černín. The main renovation of the chateau took place between 1720 and 1724. At the end of the 18th century, Jan Rudolf Černín had the chateau chapel extended, two new staircases added and, above all, transformed a nearby field into a unique English landscape park, which was gradually enhanced by the addition of many romantic structures.